Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Election 2017
I myself was a 'Reluctant Remainer', after years of campaigner against the EU it's centralised, bureacratic system and support for the neo-liberal agenda. But the possibility of a Tory government leading us out of the EU was too much to bear, and by and large what I am seeing post-referendum endorses the fears I had. As you say NeilT we now have a Britain more divided than ever, with increased levels of racism, economic uncertainty, and the possible erosion of legislation on workers rights and the environment. Is this what the Liberal Party wanted when they supported Brexit? I don't think it was.

Labour are likely to take a hammering, and deservedly so. I say this as not so much somebody that is anti-Corbyn, but because they have shown themselves to be another 'nasty party', only this time it's the members that are nasty to each other and anyone that disagrees with them. Do we really want such a party in power?

The Greens now appear to have almost a developed a 'love affair' with the EU and in a number of ways echo the thoughts of the Lib Dems. Here was an opportunity to call for rebuilding of the EU in the way the European Free Alliance propose, but this is not what I'm hearing.

The Lib Dems 'we have voted to leave but not the destination' does have some meaning, but what they are proposing is not a new destination but a round trip heading back to the same port.

I totally agree, we must protect the rights of EU citizens currently living in the UK. Personally I beleive if that all those that reside here that were resident in the UK 12 months before the referendum they should be offered British citizenship. This I believe is the liberal and fair thing to do. Therefore pressure needs to be applied and voices for a Liberal Brexit raised. If nothing else this would at least show there is an alternative - a Liberal Brexit.

As for the General Election, would participating really pay dividends? Or is concentrating on the local elections on this occasion a far better option? I believe concentrating on the latter is more important and would not hinder prospects of raising a Liberal voice on important national and international issues such as Brexit.

Messages In This Thread
General Election 2017 - by Stone de Croze - 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM
RE: General Election 2017 - by NeilT - 04-27-2017, 12:07 AM
RE: General Election 2017 - by Stone de Croze - 04-27-2017, 02:16 PM
RE: General Election 2017 - by NeilT - 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: General Election 2017 - by ReadingLib - 04-28-2017, 08:02 PM
General Election 2017 - by VerdaJek - 10-17-2019, 10:52 PM
RE: General Election 2017 - by ReadingLib - 10-19-2019, 12:02 PM