Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Election Manifesto
The biggest threat we probably face militarily is from a crazed fanatic with a dirty bomb in a rucksack or strapped around his waste. This makes our nuclear capability more of a sledge hammer to crack a nut, expensive, potentially apocalyptic if ever used. As far as our standing in the world is concerned, Britain does not necessarily have to follow the path of other nations and be a military global power, rather one which fulfills its international commitment to NATO (which I'll come to later) and serves the purpose of defending Britain's interest. I think think the present policy does this, ensuring our forces are fully equipped and prepared, and would not result in service personnel being sent into conflict zones (though I am not a supporter of this in recent military campaigns) with inadequate equipment. So my thoughts are a policy of defence rather than offence, increased manpower (possibly restoring county regiments), improve our conventional arsenal and ensure our forces are suitably equipped. We should also ensure those leaving the forces are fully supported. I would also look to the formation of a National Guard as part of our defence strategy which can immediately respond to domestic emergencies and disasters. We have all seen the dramatic climate emergencies over recent years, and the instant deployment of a National Guard in such a situation would certainly assist the situation.

Regarding NATO, I have to admit I am not the biggest fan of this alliance, especially with the heavy US influence. Whilst I sit on the fence on the subject some on the left advocate on leaving NATO, I do question why our troops may have to be deployed if another NATO member is attacked. Obviously there are circumstances where we would have to deploy troops but it could pose a major conflict of interests. Personally I would prefer greater commitment to UN forces whose purpose is to avoid war and maintain peace.

As for education, I believe everyone deserves the high standards of a grammar school education. We are all different and whilst some excel in certain subjects some may excel in others. It is worth recognising in some areas where there is a successful grammar school there are failing comprehensive schools, and this is the imbalance and unfairness we face. The policy states: "the differing advantages of small and large schools can be brought together by structuring the system to provide schools organised on a collegiate basis, with the aim of sharing facilities and providing a wider range of courses, in particular the utilisation of new technology".
I believe this is the key to offering grammar standards of education to all.

Messages In This Thread
2019 Election Manifesto - by JEBaker1892 - 04-09-2020, 08:36 PM
RE: 2019 Election Manifesto - by Stone de Croze - 05-02-2020, 02:25 PM