Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London attack and nuclear weapons
Firstly I think all of us condemn what was another hate fuelled murder by those with a distorted view of their faith. No words can bring comfort to those who are suffering or bring back those that are lost. However we have a duty to carry on and try and bring peace to an ever divided world, whether it is through preventing hate and terrorism or through preventing the spread of weapons of mass destruction.

Friday evening I watched the Question Time leader’s debate and at certain moments during the nuclear debate I was in disgust. I simply cannot get my head round the idea that members of the audience would sanction killing millions of lives and destroy whole eco-systems across large areas of the planet for generations. The likelihood is an escalation of nuclear warfare (which is what would happen through retaliatory attacks) would render the whole planet inhabitable.

There is another very good reason for not wishing to press the nuclear button, and that is hope. For even within the worst dictatorships there are those that believe in freedom and liberty. These will be the people on the outside of the nuclear shelters when our retaliatory attack strikes, whilst the leaders of the brutal regime are tucked away safely and no doubt prepared to launch another attack back at us. We would in effect be killing innocent people, people who may one day rise to bring freedom and liberty to that dictatorship. A retaliatory strike would kill them and any hope of liberty and freedom. Those in the audience on Friday who feel it’s a sign of weakness not to press the button need to consider whether they would be willing to sacrifice any future prospect of liberty, for the sake of what appears to be bullish bravado.

There is also the matter of nuclear weapons being a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Last night in London we witnessed the deaths of innocent people not from a nuclear missile but from three deranged, hate fuelled individuals in a van. In Manchester a short time ago we saw fatalities as the result of another individual follower of hate with a bomb strapped to him. These are the prime dangers we face today, dangers a nuclear missile cannot defend against, and dangers we need to direct defence funding into guarding against.

Our thoughts are clearly are with those in London today who have been affected by the latest attack. Our thanks must go to the Police and the emergency services for the swift and efficient response.  I was also pleased to see swift condemnation from the Muslim Council of Britain which I think is worthy of posting below.  As I said on Twitter and Facebook this morning, “Believers of all faiths and those that believe in none should stand shoulder to shoulder in condemning the actions of those that believe in hate. Thoughts with ”.

London Bridge Attack: Muslim Council of Britain Response
Harun Khan, Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain has issued the following statement after the terrorist incident in London:
“I am appalled and angered by the terrorist attacks at London Bridge and Borough Market, in my home city. These acts of violence were truly shocking and I condemn them in the strongest terms.
Muslims everywhere are outraged and disgusted at these cowards who once again have destroyed the lives of our fellow Britons. That this should happen in this month of Ramadan, when many Muslims were praying and fasting only goes to show that these people respect neither life nor faith.
My prayers are with the victims and all those affected. I commend the work of our emergency services working hard to keep us safe and cope with the ensuing carnage. As ever we urge everyone to assist the authorities so that these criminals can be apprehended and brought to justice.”
yeah..i too heard about this