LIBERAL TALK

Full Version: Letter to Reading Chroncile - Council Accounts late for 5th Occasion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am writing this letter in response to the Reading Chronicle news item(22nd April) detailing the announcement that Reading Borough Council will now miss the deadline for signing off its financial accounts for a fifth time.

The announcement of a delay in the filing on the eve of local elections on the 6th May is now becoming an all too regular occurrence and one which should simply not keep happening.

This is not a record the Labour run council should be proud of not least when the estimated cost overruns are now more than £1 million of local council taxpayers hard earned monies.

As I have stated on previous occasions, filling the annual accounts on time shows that the council is being run in an efficient and transparent way.

In the meantime, I am grateful for the opportunity to be on the ballot in Norcot ward for the local elections in May, and equal please to see at least 5 independent candidates as well as other minority party candidates on the ballot.

This gives the electorate of Reading the opportunity to hold the council to account at the hustings and potential in the council chamber for their continued inability to manage the councils financial reporting.